New Zealand Music - the 60's and 70's
September 26, 2017, 11:33:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Staff List Login Register  

The Zarks

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Zarks  (Read 1373 times)
Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:53:21 am »

A band which featured Larry Killip, some neat photo's Click Here

Cool Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

PattyIreland

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:44 pm »

The Zarks website
The group started out playing at school dances and local socials. Once they had enough experience they managed to secure professional gigs at some of the Auckland clubs, like the 1480 Village, the 410 Club and the Monaco and the Galaxy. They were basically a British covers band who played a wide variety of rhythm and blues and pop music.

The Zarks lasted from 1965 until 1967 and during that time there were a number of line-up changes. Mike Harrison left and joined Le Frame. He was replaced by Terry Bradley. John Morrell joined the group as a vocalist and Paddy Gibbons came in on keyboards. When Greg Sharples left he was replaced by Tim Biggs on guitar.
essay The group started out playing at school dances and local socials. Once they had enough experience they managed to secure professional gigs at some of the Auckland clubs, like the 1480 Village, the 410 Club and the Monaco and the Galaxy. They were basically a British covers band who played a wide variety of rhythm and blues and pop music.

The Zarks lasted from 1965 until 1967 and during that time there were a number of line-up changes. Mike Harrison left and joined Le Frame. He was replaced by Terry Bradley. John Morrell joined the group as a vocalist and Paddy Gibbons came in on keyboards. When Greg Sharples left he was replaced by Tim Biggs on guitar.

In 1968, four of the current line-up, with the addition of a new bass player, changed their name and became Omnibus. Tim Biggs was to later play in Chapeaux. The Zarks never officially recorded, but did do some home recordings, one of which found its way onto vinyl on John Baker's "Psychedelic No 8 Wire" compilation.
In 1968, four of the current line-up, with the addition of a new bass player, changed their name and became Omnibus. Tim Biggs was to later play in Chapeaux. The Zarks never officially recorded, but did do some home recordings, one of which found its way onto vinyl on John Baker's "Psychedelic No 8 Wire" compilation.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 06:21:48 pm »

Oh neat, I see there's a new page with more piccies, here

Nice Silverhammer !

Cool

Report Spam   Logged

Silverhammer
Musician - Killip, The Zarks & Omnibus.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »

I kept a record of pix and events in those early years, so although The Zarks weren't well known I like to think they are now kind of representatives of the day. Our story was classic (as were most local band stories) in a minor way, right down to losing a member through a drugs overdose, pretty wild for 1967.

And we faithfully rehearsed in our garage, no time off if you were sick..you always turned up, Dr Rock once commented on Radio with Pictures about "The Zarks being a staunch garage band". We liked that.

I intend to post a video soon of a clip from The Zarks reunion 1998. I would also like to post some of the everyday stuff I kept like gig lists, song lists and gear lists..again only because I reckon they give an insight to the times and the many other suburban bands that sprung up all over the place back then.

LarryK

Report Spam   Logged
Silverhammer
Musician - Killip, The Zarks & Omnibus.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52:12 am »

The Zarks video..."Get Off My Cloud" live at The Zarks reunion 1998.

The Zarks Video

In the flash player click on the number "02" then play, doesn't seem to start off "01".

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:48:43 pm »

WOW !

Awesome, thanks for that.

Still got it huh.  Wink

Cool Cool Cool
Report Spam   Logged

rogerborg

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 05:03:41 am »

I prevented a record of pix and events in those early years, so though The Zarks weren't popular I like to think they might be now kind of representatives throughout the day. Your tale had been classic (as happened to be many local band stories) within a minor method, appropriate right down to losing a member through a drugs overdose, pretty crazy for 1967.
And also you faithfully rehearsed in your garage, no time off of should you decide were ill..you always turned up, Dr Rock once commented on Radio with Pics about "The Zarks being a staunch garage band". You loved which.
I intend to article a movie later on of a clip from The Zarks reunion 1998. I might also love to post a few of the everyday stuff I saved like gig lists, track lists as well as gear lists..again solely because I reckon they give an understanding to the circumstances and also the many different suburban bands that leapt up every one of the over the place in return then.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:59 pm »

Jennifer Eccles

Recorded under a house in Kingsland Auckland features Terry Bradley on main vocal. Denis Winters drums. Boogie (Hariman Harrison) bass, Larry Killip guitar/vocal.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: