New Zealand Music - the 60's and 70's
September 26, 2017, 06:46:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Staff List Login Register  

Denise Keene - the Hakas

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denise Keene - the Hakas  (Read 5778 times)
Elaine

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »

I'm trying to find information about Denise Keene...life and career. Where is she today? Denise was an Aussie who I'm told moved to New Zealand and became a member of the Hakas. She also sang in a duo known as Denise Keene & Happy. (Who's Happy?) They recorded "Have Love, Will Travel" in 1974.

In around 1976 Denise sang "Colours of My Dream on an album by jazz pianist Judy Bailey.

There's a video of Denise singing "You Don't Own Me" on You Tube from "Sing Sing Sing" in 1964. This video has received about 700 hits just in the last three or four weeks.

The above is all I know.

I (and several of my friends) would like to know more about Denise Keene and her life and performing career. Can anyone help?

Elaine
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:28:26 am »

Hi Elaine,

If all else fails try here there are contact details for members of previous Maori Bands amongst others, or try also the site owner.
Hopefully some of the other guy's here may know more.

Also try Andy Shackleton's site he may be able to help as well.

Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

Elaine

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

I tried contacting Max Stowers. I had two email addresses for him but the email came back to me undelivered.

Andy doesn't have any information but he said he'd get the word out to see if anyone can help.

There HAS to be someone out there that has additional information. It looks like it will take some patience and the right connections.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »

Very hard to find anything on Denise, like you say someone must know something.

I'll keep looking.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:54:48 am »

Have you tried contacting the team at milesago.com Click here
I had a look on their site but found nothing, it may still be worth flicking them an email though.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:25:58 pm »

Got a reply from Global Dog Productions as follows,

In the UK she had this single, only one I have in my database...

Pye 7N 45373 - Denise Keene and Happy - "Have Love Will Travel" b/w "Maori Love Song (Across The Sea)"

Judging from the B side I'm assuming this would be the same person. This single would have been from the mid to late 1970s.

Definitely try contacting Dunks (Duncan Kimball) whose websited is milesago.com. He can be a little slow in responding, in my case it was a couple months, but be that as it may if you want information he's as good as gold. I consider his website to be the premiere Australian discography website and that is coming from someone who's Australian discographies aren't too shabby.

Report Spam   Logged

Elaine

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:48 pm »

Thanks, Steve! We're making some headway. The Pye record number would indicate that the Denise Keene single was released during the summer of 1974...just about what I figured. I will email Duncan Kimball this week.
Report Spam   Logged
Elaine

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:08:46 pm »

I just got a CD in the mail..."Puppets On A String--Songs of Eurovision". It has Denise's "Have Love, Will Travel" single on it. It's quite good. I knew of the Olivia Newton-John version via Youtube.

I was hoping the liner notes of the album would provide some information, but about Denise Keene they say, "of whom little is known". Nuts!
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »

I'm trying to find information about Denise Keene...life and career. Where is she today? Denise was an Aussie who I'm told moved to New Zealand and became a member of the Hakas.

The names I have for the Haka's are, Hapi Tenana, Gavin Weir, Denise Keene, Kevin Rongonui, Harry Rivers and Tab Paenga.
So far I have found that Kevin Rongonui is either in El Paso, Texas or San Antonio.
This is a heck of a long shot, but Kevin's son Tewanee can be found here
Report Spam   Logged

denise jazz
Musician - the Hakas

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:35:57 pm »

I am Denise Keene how can I help?
Report Spam   Logged
Elaine

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:18:40 pm »

Hi, Denise! I hope you really ARE Denise Keene. There are so many people on the internet posing as singers, actors, etc.

Anyway, I first became aware of you by seeing the Youtube video of "You Don't Own Me", seen here...

I became a fan of yours and began corresponding with others who had seen the video and had become fans. We all just want to know more about your life and career since that appearance on "Sing, Sing Sing" in 1964.

You did a terrific job on the Judy Bailey track, "Colours of My Dream", by the way.

I'd like to begin a dialogue with you, but rather than overwhelm you right now, how about two or three quick questions?

Do you have a family?

Are you still singing/performing?

Do you remember Leon Isackson? Was he on that episode of "Sing, Sing, Sing" in the video?

Elaine
Report Spam   Logged
denise jazz
Musician - the Hakas

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »

Hi Elaine, wasn't Leon the drummer? We were on Johnny O'keefe how. It wasn't Bandstand. I'm sure I went to a benefit for Leon or was that the guitarist who was sick. 
Yes, I married and have a son and daughter. Still singing.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwigold
Admin. - Steve Corbett

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »

Hi Denise,

Is there any chance that the Haka's will ever get back together, I realise Kevin Rongonui is in the US somewhere.

Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged

Elaine

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:28:16 am »

Yes, Leon was the drummer for the Rajahs. Did you ever record any backing vocals for them?

Denise, could you tell us how you met Judy Bailey and how you came to do the vocals on "Colours of My Dream"?

You recorded as Denise Keene & Happy in the 1970s. Who was Happy? Any idea what he's doing today?
Report Spam   Logged
sydazz

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:19:11 pm »

Do you remember Leon Isackson?
leon is about to rerelease behind the rock and beyond with the new part 3 go to www.leonisackson.com for more info
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: